A service writer supports a service manager and assists in the daily operation of the service department by maintaining records and documentation associated with the servicing of equipment. They assist in scheduling work, answering questions and advising on repairs within established guidelines. Additionally, they process warranty claims, including computation of charges and filing with the correct manufacturing company in a timely manner.
What Responsibilities Will I Have?:
- Answer phone calls in the service department
- Wait on customers at the service counter
- Assist in scheduling and answering questions
- Advise on repairs within established guidelines
- Communicate with customers on additional repairs needed
- Start repair orders, enter tech notes and parts on orders, and review for accuracy
- Process warranty claims
- Assist service manager in coordinating departmental events
- Generate reports and complete other paperwork
- Review technician time postings for accuracy
- Assist customers with picking up, dropping off, loading and unloading equipment
- Coordinate transportation for equipment coming and going
- Work with delivery drivers to assure timely pickup and delivery
- Assist the service manager in assuring that the shop is in compliance with regulations
Recommended High School Courses:
The following high school courses are recommended: agricultural education, mathematics, business and computer skills.
A high school diploma is required. Technical knowledge of agriculture or construction equipment is a plus, which may be obtained through an associate degree.