A livestock buyer will oversee and participate in the buying, selling and selection of livestock for companies and individuals. They identify livestock acquisition opportunities on a daily basis and secure budgeted throughput levels by offering a range of pricing, hedging and service alternatives to growers in the designated region.
What Responsibilities Will I Have?:
- Identify livestock acquisition opportunities
- Secure budgeted throughput levels by offering a range of service alternatives
- Negotiate price with growers and suppliers
- Prepare regular reports for analysis by management
- Recommend solutions to problems involved in the preparation of contracts
- Schedule transportation for animals
- Advise growers regarding care of livestock to ensure safe and efficient production
- Inspect animals for carcass characteristics
- Stay up-to-date regarding market conditions and animal supply
- Transfer information to the scale house coordinators
- Ensure regulatory guidelines are being met
Recommended High School Courses:
The following high school courses are recommended: agricultural education, mathematics and a focus on sciences such as animal science and biology.
An associate or bachelor’s degree in animal science, agricultural business or marketing.