Landscape technicians manage, redesign and maintain properties. This would include growing and transplanting of a variety of plants and construction of hardscapes. They follow plans and specifications, inspecting and directing the planting of landscape material associated with improvement, beautification and erosion control.
What Responsibilities Will I Have?:
- Grow, maintain and transplant flowers, shrubs and trees
- Maintain and install sprinkler systems
- Construct walkways, walls and small foot bridges
- Follow plans and specifications
- Create and adhere to various watering and feeding schedules
- Plan new growth planting patterns in distinct seasonal changes
- Identify and eliminate detrimental insects or diseases
- Adhere to a predetermined budget
- Operate a variety of mechanical equipment
- Apply chemicals if certified
Recommended High School Courses:
The following high school courses are recommended: agricultural education, mathematics, geometry and a focus on science, particularly biology, botany, earth science and geography.
An associate or bachelor’s degree in landscape horticulture, turf grass, plant science, soil science, agronomy, biology or related field is required.