A feedlot manager supervises and manages daily operations such as herd nutrition, environmental conditions and the marketing of feedlot livestock. They also ensure that all health and safety standards are adhered to, and they prepare short- and long- term operational plans supportive to the feedlot in conjunction with the general manager.
What Responsibilities Will I Have?:
- Ensure profitable operations of the feedlot to optimize feeding parameters
- Manage feedlot and appropriate safety standards and relations with employees, suppliers and customers
- Prepare short- and long- term operational plans supportive to the feedlot
- Prepare budgets and report operational and capital expenditures
- Report weekly and monthly feedlot performance
- Repair and maintain equipment and structures
- Ensure that all health and safety standards are adhered to
- Manage efficient expenditure of allocated funds
- Ensure security of all assets including land, livestock produce and inventories
- Ensure efficient and productive personnel management and assessment of staff
Recommended High School Courses:
The following high school courses are recommended: agricultural education, animal science, biology, and mathematics.
An associate degree in animal science or agricultural business is needed.